In the past few years, the importance of self-care has come under the spotlight. People are much more aware of the food they eat, the amount of exercise they’re getting, and participating in activities that bring joy for improved mental health.
While the focus has traditionally been on women, it’s equally important that men prioritise self-care, and a great way to start is with a simple cup of green tea.
“We’ve all come to realise the importance of our health and well-being, but it doesn’t have to mean drastic changes to your lifestyle. Start by making small, positive choices – because these little changes add up and can ultimately make a big difference,” comments Candice Sessions, Tetley marketing manager. “Our aim is to show South Africans that something as simple as including Tetley green tea in their day can be a great start.”
Tetley partner dietitian Mbali Mapholi explains that green tea, which has a history dating back thousands of years, boasts an impressive range of health benefits for men.
To encourage a shift to a healthier life, she shares her top 6 reasons for adding a cup of green tea to men’s daily routine:
1. Green tea can help men feel more alert and focused thanks to its natural caffeine content. It’s a great way to kickstart the day or stay alert during a long workday.
2. Men are at a higher risk for heart-related diseases, but those who drink green tea regularly may be able to reduce their risk of heart disease and stroke. Green tea has been shown to help lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels, which are both risk factors for heart disease.
3. Green tea has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce joint pain and stiffness, making it a great beverage for active men who want to keep their joints healthy.
4. Green tea may help men maintain healthy blood sugar levels, which can reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
5. Men who drink green tea regularly may have a lower risk of developing certain types of cancer including prostate cancer. One cup of green tea has twice the amount of antioxidants found in an apple. These can help protect cells from damage and prevent cancerous growths.
6. Finally, drinking green tea is a great way to stay hydrated and support overall health and well-being. It’s a refreshing and healthy alternative to sugary sodas and sports drinks.
Tetley flavoured green teas include Lemon, Mint, Apple – and the NEW Mango with vitamin B5, and Peach & Orange with vitamin C. For more advice, tips and even great recipes to try, visit the Joekels website or Facebook and Instagram pages.